PCNYC

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Our position

Sonia
Site Owner

What experiences have we endure from our parent coordinators positions.  I have experience different job tactics and would like to hear from other parent coordinators and what they learned in their position. 

February 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Owens

I think that the experiences which PC's have gained are endless and priceless.  

June 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandra Lopez

I'm having problems posting a photo of myself

--

Sandra lopez

June 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandra Lopez

--

Sandra lopez

June 5, 2012 at 6:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sonia
Site Owner

Send the photo to us and we will post on here.  If you have any photos of any of your workshops with you in it, please send to be posted.  

June 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandra Lopez

--

Sandra lopez

June 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Blackfoot U-Ahk

Congratulations on this new forum. Though I'm no longer a PC, I hope my contributions will be helpful.

=

One of my many enduring experiences was getting parents to come out, to receive valuable information for their own personal needs. The two populations I served were parents of children with emotional challenges, and parents of children with autism. My experience showed, that parents of children with autism were more pro-active, involved, and informed, than parents of children with emotional behavioral challenges. ... [] = ;

--

- an involved parent is an informed parent!

June 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tiwana

Sandra Lopez at June 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Sandra you must have a picture saved on the computer you are using. When you press browse you must know the location that the picture is stored in such as "my pictures" folder or "desktop." After you select the picture press send.

--

June 11, 2012 at 1:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ms. Bien-Aime

Congratulations! PCNYC is a fabulous undertaking.  I am certain it took a lot of hard work.   Much appreciation and respect to the creators of this forum. Ms. Grahams I have know you for such a long time, as we've collaborated on summer camp programs. Thanks to you and your partners for all the time and energies you've put into making it possible for PCs of NYC to meet online.

My experience as a PC has had its ups and downs...over the past 6 years I am continously learning the importance of accummulating data of my work instead of emotionally responding to poor attendance to workshops and other events.   I found that once I started to do this the numbers told a story and based on this I saw the person(s) who came out which change my notion of what parent involvement truly means.   Data helps me to assess the efficacy of my engagement strategies, retool my outreach plans to not only increase numbers but to widen the net to catch a more diverse parenting group (ex. single parents, fathers, grandparents, foster parents, stepparents and parents with limited english).

I care less about large numbers at my meetings but more about breaking the barriers to effectively communicate with parents and members of our community.   Reaching those parents who rarely come out and helping those who really needed my assistance is a big plus for me.  I care about helping proactive parents to take on more leadership roles in the schools and surrounding community; the fact that they are not employeed by the DOE makes them even more powerful community advocates than me.

Of course, its not all pie in the sky work...often it is thankless.   I've had to pick my battles and view each situation circumspectively...chosing whether to advocate or take a diplomatic stances on many occasions because as you are aware, being a bridge to communication between the school and parents we are apt to get trampled upon.   Which is why in order to maintain proper prospective I think about the child of each parent I serve.  

--

Ivie Bien-Aime, I.S. 68 Parent Coordinator

email: [email protected]

For school informatioin & updates, visit our website: www.is68.org

"Parents Still Make the Difference"

July 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lisa Schiliro-Reilly

I want to wish all my fellow Parent Coordinators a Happy and Healthy New Year!!!

January 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.